Friday, January 7, 2011

LabVIEW for MINDSTORMS NXT Tutorials

With my time in Boston coming to an end, I thought it was time to reflect on what I've learned over the past six months. For example, I've probably picked up a few things about using LabVIEW that might be useful for other K-12 teachers - especially those like me who don't have a background in engineering! These two tutorials are the first of a series that I'm intending to put together this year.

I think that LabVIEW Education Edition (or whatever the next version will be called....) works well as the next step on from NXT-G, but there's a lot about it that can seem pretty daunting at first. I'm hoping that these tutorials might help ease the transition for teachers and students who want to go beyond NXT-G, but would prefer to stick with a graphical based programming environment.

I'm intending to update these tutorials when the next version of LVEE is released early this year, but figured that I had to start somewhere... Any/all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

--

LabVIEW for MINDSTORMS NXT Tutorial 1 - Your first program
In this tutorial, I demonstrate how to create a simple program using LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT. Topics include the functions palette, context help and auto-wiring.




LabVIEW for MINDSTORMS NXT Tutorial 2 - Targetting
In this tutorial, I highlight the idea of "targetting" in LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT, and point out some of the differences between "Target to NXT" and "Target to Computer".

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I am extremely grateful for your LabVIEW tutorials. I have just downloaded the evaluation version and added the NXT module so now i can develop in LabVIEW for my NXT robot :-)
    I hope to purchase the full version next week but just to say that your tutorials went a very long way in helping me make this decision.
    I wish to continue my slow progress and more tutorials will be most welcome.
    Soon I will involve my students but right now they are physically building a workspace outside my research office.
    Great tutorials - very clear - more please :-)
    Michael (in Japan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the feedback! I've got a series of tutorials planned, but I'm waiting for the final version of LabVIEW for LEGO MIndstorms (LVM), before I do any more... It shouldn't be long now!!

    ReplyDelete